Storybook Favorites

This dessert called Modak is traditionally known as a favorite food for Lord Ganesh. 

(Prepared Modak, Web Source: Wikipedia)


Nursery Rhymes

The topic is nursery rhymes which I am familiar with. The title did a good job letting me know what the basic topic was. It was very short, but it was intriguing and enticed me to learn more about this topic. I learned what the Storybook was, but did not know how it related to Mythology and Folklore until I read the introduction. The introduction does a great job explaining the topic and prompting me to want to read the story. The author plays a character from a nursery rhyme called "Mother Goose" in the introduction which is interesting. As kids who read these nursery rhymes, most of us probably did not think beyond the nursery rhyme, so this topic is very interesting. It even introduces the three stories it wants to discuss like a thesis. The design is nice. The background depicts pictures of characters from the certain nursery rhymes. It goes in theme. Personally, I did not love the drop down menu after each picture. I would not use that in my Storybook. I liked the search feature on the right hand side. I would use this in my own project.

Ayodhya- Food and Culture

I am not familiar with Ayodhya in particular. However, I am Pakistani. and I love to cook traditional Pakistani dishes which are very similar to Indian dishes. The title did a great job letting me know that the Storybook will be about the Food and Culture in India. It was very intriguing. It made me wonder how this title will relate to the course. The introduction introduces the author's love for traveling and her fascination with Indian culture and food. One question that I had when reading the title of this Storybook is how it will relate to the course. She explains this through her introduction that she will be discussing the region the food derives from. I like that she shows a reason for her choice in topic as well by explaining her love for traveling and interest in Indian culture. The design is very professional. The background is very simple, but the colors of the pictures the author chose are beautiful and vibrant. I would want to use vibrant colors in my own project. Every topic is very easy to access at the top. I would hope my project will be similar. 

Mean Girl Morals

Mean Girls is a topic that I am already familiar with. However, Aesop's Fables is a topic that I have heard but do not know anything about. The title was more of a theme for the topic. However, I do not think the title did a good job telling us what the Storybook is about which is how the characters in the movie relate to Aesop's Fables. The introduction does a great job explaining the topic. It also grabs my attention by using a character from the movie as the "author." The navigation compared to the others that I saw was not as nicely laid out. I would have preferred the navigation to be on the top rather than on the left side. It just aesthetically did not look as good. Also, the titles were interesting and relevant for the topic. However, I was slightly confused which was even the introduction. I love the usage of pictures from the movie. I would want to depict relevant pictures.  

Comments

  1. Hi Sana! Just a quick note to say that a Pakistani project for this class would so cool! There are so many beautiful folktale and ballad traditions from what is now Pakistan, and from northern India before the Partition... there's a Raja Rasalu unit in the UnTextbook (link to Raja Rasalu unit)... and then there are famous folk ballads like Heer Ranjha (link) and more, so maybe that is something you will want to explore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Cooking, Dancing, Pakistani Violinist

Week 7 Story: Young Lyfe