Week 2 Story: Lion Lover

I fell in love with a beautiful girl. We have been dating for 5 years. I have hirsutism, and she was the only one who looked beyond my appearance. I finally decided to tie the knot with my beloved. I was really excited to propose and wanted to secretly break the news to my potential in laws before I proposed. 

I knocked on the beautiful brown door. 

(Wooden Front DoorWeb Source: NeedPix )

This was the first time we had met, and they were not excited to have me as their son-in-law. Instead of welcoming me with open arms, they called me a lion. They said I had to shave my head and shave my legs in order to marry their daughter. I was astonished, but I went along with their strange demands. They seemed completely harmless. I came again the next day with a shaved head and shaved legs.

 They made more demands. They said I needed to give them money and not just a dollar or two but just $5,000 (no biggie.)  I went to the bank and gave them everything in my wallet. I already bought their daughter a ring, so I did not have much money in my pocket. I gave them a couple hundred dollars. That seemed reasonable to me. They were pissed, but I didn't care. I told them I would marry her anyways because I love her. 

I went up to her the next day and proposed. She said "yes." It was so exciting until she decided that we should tell her parents about the engagement. I was so scared, but I realized my mistake when we met her actual parents. I had never met them before. I realized that I went to the neighbors house instead of their own. My bad, oopsies. We lived happily ever after without a couple hundred dollars and hair on my head or legs. 


Authors Note: 

I made the lion in the story actually a human. I made the couple have a backstory, that they had been going out for awhile. I changed the parent's demands. I also made them get married and had a plot twist, a more happy ending. I changed it a lot. 

Bibliography. "The Lion in Love" from The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs Web Source


Comments

  1. Hey, Sana!

    Your retelling of this story made me laugh! I like that you made the fable more realistic by turning the lion into a human, and I think the fact that you made the male character have hirsutism was super creative. The demands that the "parents" made, too, seemed more likely and relatable in this day and age; your touches definitely modernized this fable. The ending also made me laugh because I wasn't expecting it at all! I think it would've been cool to include some dialogue, especially between the man and the neighbors, to draw the reader in more; including some of the man's thoughts or emotions may have been a good addition, too! Altogether though, I very much enjoyed your rendition of Aesop's "The Lion in Love" because it showcased your creativity and was unique. Good luck with all of your future stories, Sana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this humorous retelling of the story. I also appreciate that you used an actual medical condition to explain his lion like appearance. I liked the happy ending and the humorous nature to it. I like how the "lion" insists upon asking the girl's "parents" before marriage and tries to respect them even though they don't end up being her parents. Asking parents for permission to marry their daughter sounds like an outdated practice, but I actually really like that sign of respect and intend the same to happen when that time comes for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Cooking, Dancing, Pakistani Violinist

Week 7 Story: Young Lyfe