Feedback Strategies

 

 ("Feedback;" Web Source: Pixabay)

 I read How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk by Adam Grant. 

I use the sandwich technique typically, and I thought that was the best method. It makes sense that people focus less on the positives and more on the negatives that you give. I didn't realize that the positives do not sound sincere. If you also just put the negatives in the middle, these may not even be read due to the primacy and recency effect. Grant suggests we need to explain why you are giving feedback on a certain area, take yourself off the pedestal, don't give unsolicited feedback, and be transparent. Honestly, I think that I do all of these when I give feedback. I typically give feedback to my friends on essays especially for applications. I don't give feedback unless someone wants it. I let people know that I am not the best person to ask. I try to explain precisely and transparently why I don't like something in the essay. I think it also helps that these are friends, and they are asking for help. I may be less transparent with people I do not know which is something I need to work on.

The other article I read was by Deborah Kris called Preschoolers and Praise: What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow. In this article, it discusses how generic praise is not good. Rather, it should be directed at something. These teach kids what they did is good. They need to understand what they did. It also encourages using yet. The child may not be there yet, but that does not mean they will always not be there. It also tells parents to discuss stories of resilience. I definitely give generic praise like wow! and amazing! I think that discussion posts in many of my courses has helped me become less vague because you cannot just say "Yes, I agree." Rather, you have to discuss why. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Cooking, Dancing, Pakistani Violinist

Week 7 Story: Young Lyfe