Week 4 Lab




 (Story; Web Source: Pixabay)


 As a child, I thought stories had to be unfamiliar as well to be interesting. My favorite stories were ones that I could not relate to, and I think that a big part of that was out of curiosity of something different. I remember seeing a book about a hijabi girl, and I remember picking up the book when I was young. However, I remember it bored me to hear my story, but I understand the significance of showing that story. If not, then there is many depictions of Muslim people in the news who show Muslims as dangerous people. Unfortunately, there are not enough Muslim stories. I never really identified with being a Muslim or Pakistani when I was younger. I did not even realize that was a part of my identity. The first time I realized was when some kids were making fun of me for not knowing what a baptism was. As an adult and understanding the negative portrayal and harsh depiction of Muslims in the media, I consciously tell people that I am Muslim and try to clear up misconceptions. It is important to tell many stories. My perspective on Islam is not the same as anyone else's opinion. It is important to try to get multiple perspectives because everyone's perspective may not be the same. 

I agree that these not real characters do engage our emotions. I remember watching while Derek Shepherd passed away on Greys Anatomy, and the amount of grief I had was like it was my own loved one. I also remember another scene in Greys Anatomy when the plane crashed. This is one of my biggest fears, and to see these characters that I had watched for many months experience this was terrifying. It felt like I was experiencing this with them or if they were some friends of mine. 

I watched the TedTalks on Youtube by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and  Jennifer Barnes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Cooking, Dancing, Pakistani Violinist

Week 7 Story: Young Lyfe